I got my second Raspberry Pi this week. I wanted another so I could play around with it, my first has become a media player in the lounge that the flatmates are rather fond of. Having a bit of a think about what I could do with the second, I’ve decided to make a headless radio jukebox. Some rough initial requirements:
- Headless, no monitor required to use the system
- An LCD screen which displays either the time or the currently playing track
- SMB support to play music from a file server
- One button – Hold down to start / stop. Press once for the next track
- Last.FM support, scrobble each played track to their servers
- Audio out the 3.5mm headphone jack, will support any speaker system with AUX in
- An alarm system (might be difficult with only one button – maybe have to set via SSH or web interface)
I have bought one of the adafruit cobbler kits which should enable me to play around with the LCD screen initially without any soldering. I also bought a breadboard and some solderless breadboard jumper cables.
I will post photos of this project as I build the hardware & write the software.